What Are Exam Accommodations?
- If you have needs that prevent you from taking your exam under standard testing conditions, if you have a disability or other health condition, or if English is not your primary language, you may be eligible to receive accommodations
Types of ASWB Test Accommodations
- Disabilities or other medical Needs: Documented disabilities are protected under federal and/or state law and generally apply to a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. The state or provincial social work board and ASWB will cooperate in making any necessary determinations under all applicable federal, state, provincial, and local legislation, including but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- English as a Second Language: Some state social work boards allow special arrangements for candidates who use English as a second language.
- Other Needs that require you to request for Testing Accommodations:
- Monitoring device for conditions such as diabetes
- Ambulatory arrangements for a broken bone
- Additional time because of pregnancy
- Lactation Arrangements
How To Request Accommodations:
- Complete the form found here: https://bit.ly/aswbtesting
- The request of testing arrangement form has two parts, one to be completed by you and one to be completed by your health care provider or other appropriate professional. Both forms must be submitted with original signatures. Faxes, scans, or emails will not be accepted
- Submit the request to ASWB
- When ASWB receives your request, they will notify you by email within two weeks. whether the requested arrangements are approved, incomplete, or denied.
- Register with ASWB to take the exam
- Once your request for testing accommodations is approved, you will receive an Authorization to Test email that specifies the nonstandard testing arrangements you are approved for.
- Schedule your exam with Pearson VUE
- Depending on the nature of your testing accommodations, you may not be able to schedule your exam online but will be able to schedule by phone. Refer to your Authorization to Test email for scheduling and cancellation instructions.
Examples of Common Testing Accommodations
- Extended time
- Live sign language interpreter/ translator
- Live test reader
- Paper and pencil exam
- A private room
- Access to a snacks, water, or medication
- English dictionary
- Ambulatory arrangements
- Lactation arrangements
Additional Information About ASWB Accommodations
- Nonstandard Testing Arrangements: https://bit.ly/aswbnonstandard
- Candidate Rules Agreement: https://bit.ly/candidaterules